Monday, December 13, 2010

Project Monday- Stories are Gifts

Inspired by their latest latte, Gloria and Carrie's friday prompt was "stories are gifts-share".
When I was a little girl I dreamed of making a grand gingerbread house every year for Christmas. Our family was never one for gingerbread houses, so I tried to make my own with graham crackers and peanut butter. My mom thought it was cute. Then I ate it. I recall building one with my cousin and siblings when we were older. But a gingerbread house was something I was always in love with, year after year.
So when my little girl turned three I turned my gingerbread dreams into our little tradition. Every year we build ourselves a gingerbread house. Some times we are ultra creative, other times a wee bit hurried. (ummm this year is definitely hurried!). Once we bought chocolate pebbles and made an edible cobble stone path way. We never really eat our houses, but we love making sure that it is edible.
 This years gingerbread house- we're still working on it!
 Last years gingerbread house, small and simple!

 And our first gingerbread house!
They seem so cute and easy, but it is really hard to pipe frosting vertically and keep it straight! Sometimes the directions suggest decorating the house, then assembling. I might try that next year, but I'm afraid I'll mess it up. While my dreams are still  grand, Celeste and I make small and simple houses. I take a picture every year, so it will be fun to see how our skills evolve.
If anyone is wondering why I haven't posted my before an afters for my desk yet, it's because I decided to do so more work on it. Here is a sneak peak! I hope to have my studio space put together by the end of this weekend, so I can do some more work for the grand opening of my Etsy shop this January.

5 comments:

  1. these are adorable! love them! when my niece gets a little older i would LOVE to make one with her!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. we can never figure out the frosting! yours looks amazing! Icicles and all! too awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the icicles!!! What a gorgeous touch ... it looks too good to eat, but at the same time, too good NOT to eat!

    Aoife x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all so nice! What a special tradition you have started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely story....and so cool that you had photos to share from each year....it's kinda perfect I'd say : )

    <3 Carrie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...