Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Vintage Recipe- One-Step Tamale Pie

I found this recipe in the "Meals in Minutes" cookbook ca.1968. The idea of a quick meal in the late sixties was far different from our own. I was looking for a quick dinner one night, and as is often the case with me, didn't read all the way through to realize the 45 minute bake time! Definitely not quick in my book. I'm an overly scheduled working mother/ college student. Quick for me is like twenty minutes. Oh yeah, I can throw down some dinner in twenty minutes. In spite of the deceiving title, I tried it. And it is yummy. And it is easy to prepare. And I love that I don't have to stand in the kitchen for awhile. I can throw it in the oven and work on something else. Love that.

Tamale Pie

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 8 oz cans seasoned tomato sauce
1 cup milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 12 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup sliced olives
few dashes hot pepper sauce
3/4 cup corn meal
2-2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt

In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic till meat is browned and onions are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Place in a 12x7 1/2x 2 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until knife in center comes out clean. Cut and serve!

I only had whole olives on hand and was in too much of a pinch to slice. I also garnished by melting cheese on top and a little dollop of sour cream. It was pretty easy dinner that I didn't have to put a lot of effort into, and some nights that's just what you need!


XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...