Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vintage Recipe-Best Chocolate Cake

With a name like best chocolate cake, how could I resist this recipe? Actually, I was just craving some cupcakes and I wanted them fast! So I gave this recipe a try, cut some corners, and my cupcakes stuck to my silcone cupcake liners. So I used the rest of the batter in one of my mini bundt pans, and perfection! So don't be like me, grease and flour your pan! I guess I figured it wouldn't stick to the silicone because I never grease them and I've never had an issue, so maybe this isn't a cake recipe that converts to cupcakes well...

Best Chocolate Cake
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tea baking soda
1/2 tea salt
1/4 tea baking powder
1/4 cup plus 2 tb water
1/4 cup plus 2 tb buttermilk
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1/2 tea vanilla
2 oz melted unsweetened chocolate (cooled)

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour pan. Beat all ingredients in a large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on high speed, scraping occasionally, 3 minutes. Pour into pan.
Bake until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes; cool. Frost.



We frosted ours with whipped cream mixed with some powdered sugar and a splash of maraschino cherry juice. Delish!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...