Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Quick Butter Cake and Seven Minute Frosting- Vintage Recipe

I've been trying to use my Fireside cookbook from 1949 more often. It is difficult to do since I have been so pressed for time in the later half of this semester. But I have great news, tomorrow is the last day of classes. Yay! I can't wait to start getting out of the house, gardening, baking, painting my finger nails, going to the park, oh my head swirls with excitement to think of all the things I normally take for granted! I can't wait to start exercising again too. These past few months I've been eating horribly. This I write as I post yet another cupcake recipe. I can't help myself with the sweets! Doesn't mean I can't eat healthy inspite of my sweet tooth. But lately my survival consists of coffee, tea, chips, bread and sweets. Anything grab and go that doesn't grow!
On to today's recipe. Celeste wanted cupcakes, I wanted quickness. So that is when I decided to try this combination. I actually doubled the Quick butter cake, and yielded twelve cupcakes. The seven minute frosting uses egg whites, so it consistency is like a meringue, but it piped beautifully and held its shape. It hardened slightly on the outside, and remained soft on the inside.

Quick Butter Cake
1 heaping tablespoon butter
6 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk
cinnamon
pinch of salt

Cream butter with 2 tb sugar. Add 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk. Stir until creamy. Add flour, sifted with baking powder and a pinch of salt, alternately with milk. Spread in a well buttered tin. (I used sprayed muffin tin). Brush with a lightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with butter, sugar and cinnamon (I did not do this, but I did put cinnamon in the batter). Bake at 350 for 18-20 or until golden brown.

Seven Minute Frosting
2 unbeaten egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons corn syrup
Flavoring (I used almond extract)

Combine egg whites with sugar, water and corn syrup. Place over boiling water and beat vigorously. Cook approximately seven minutes, or until mixture peaks. Remove from heat, add flavor, and beat until of spreading consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...