Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vintage Cooking- Burnt Sugar Cake

My Mom's birthday was this past Sunday and I like to make her a cake. I think everyone should have a cake for their birthday, and homemade ones are the best! I saw this Burnt Sugar Cake recipe and my interest was immediately sparked. How could burnt anything be delicious? Well, it's not really burnt, it's quite flavorful and moist and not too heavy. I decided to try the frosting the recipe suggested, caramel frosting. I'm not sure if it was my fault, but the frosting came out in a consistency that made it virtually unspreadable. It just balled up and stuck to my spatula and not the cake! Needless to say, I am omitting the frosting recipe from this post because I would hate for a reader to try it and end up with a difficult frosting as I did.  The flavor of the cake would combine well with almost any flavor of frosting, and every one is sure to love this delicious dessert.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Heat 1/2 cup of the sugar in heavy 8 in. skillet, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted and golden brown. Meanwhile bring water to boil. Remove sugar from heat and slowly stir in boiling water (careful, I steamed my finger!). Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar lumps are dissolved. Add enough water to syrup, if necessary, to measure 1/2 cup; cool.
Heat oven to 375. Grease and flour to 9in pans. Beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until foamy. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar on high speed, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy. Do not underbeat.
Beat butter, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in large mixer bowl, on low 30 sec. Scrape sides, beat on high 5 min. Beat in syrup. Beat in flour, baking powder, and salt alternately with milk. Fold in meringue. Pour into pans.
Bake until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 min. Cool 10 min. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Frost.


Recipe  from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, circa 1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...