Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake- Vintage recipe

I love love love fresh strawberries. When Spring rolls around and I start seeing these crimson beauties on the store shelves my mouth waters with the possibilities. Add in some fresh homemade whipped cream, and I'm in heaven. *sigh*
Needless to say strawberry shortcake is one of my absolute favorite desserts.. I've always made the shortcake from the bisquik recipe on the box. I figured it's about time I try it from scratch. It turned out delicious, a good balance to the sweet strawberries and cream. And it was super easy to prepare.
Recipe from Fireside Cookbook 1949


Ingredients

2 cups sifted flour
2 1/2 tea baking powder
3/4 tea salt
2 TB sugar
5 TB shortening
3/4 cup milk

Directions

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until it looks like course meal. Add milk and stir until you have a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 30 seconds. Divide dough into two parts, 2/3 for bottom, 1/3 for top. Pat or roll larger section onto floured surface and shape evenly. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Dot well with butter or brush heavily with melted butter. Bake 450 12 to 15 minutes. Remove top section and place strawberries on the bottom crust and cover with top. Garnish with homemade whipped cream.



 
I do mix a tablespoon of sugar into my strawberries as well, to help release the juices. I found the directions a little vague as how to bake, so I baked the top and bottom apart from one another, I think next time I will bake them atop one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...